Tuesday, August 29, 2006

College Football Power Rankings

It's time for me to unveil my Top 10 Power Rankings for College Football, but first I need to give my college and pro sport disclaimer.

First, I take info I hear and read elsewhere and put my spin and opinion on it.

Second, I believe there is an east coast bias therefore, I have a west coast bias. Plus in some ways I am a product of the west.

Third, I believe there is a Notre Dame bias, therefore, I have a bias for everybody else.

Fourth this will be short and sweet 'cause it's late and I got sleep.

OK, college now the pros later. These are Rankings not predictions. I may give those for the pros:

#1 Texas - I know Vince is gone but as the Nature Boy used to say "To be the man you have to beat the man!" Until someone beats them they are #1, plus they have plenty of talent returning....Colt McCoy better grow up fast 'cause the Buckeyes are coming to town......SOON

#2 USC - How do you replace two Heisman Trophy winners and 6,800 yards in total offense? You don't. But the cupboard is never bare at USC. They could have a dominate offensive line and All-American Dwayne Jarrett and Steve Smith returning at WR. This should allow J.D. Booty to easily slide in at QB. The D Should be solid. The schedule is not the worst ever but it certainly not easy. Arkansas on the road to open then dates with Nebraska, ASU, Oregon State, Oregon, Cal, Notre Dame and UCLA. All top 20 programs. Well with the exception of one but it's my alma mater. I did say I am biased to open this thing right?

#3 Ohio State - The offense will be unstoppable. QB Troy Smith and Ted Ginn Jr. will set the Big 10 on fire. Problem is, it seems like the whole defense went to the NFL. Yes, like USC they have an abundance of talent so the D will be fine. Question is how soon? The youngsters on D play Texas in Austin in 8 days. They have Northern Illinois today as a tune up. Hardly, a comparison to what the Longhorns will bring to the table. Aside from the Texas game they have dates at Iowa, at Michigan State and at home against Michigan. Maybe I should not mention Michigan since they are making it tradition to lay down against OSU!

#4 Auburn - #4 and 5 of the 44Black Top 10 College Football Poll, play in the NFL like SEC. Winning the SEC once is a miracle and the Tigers are looking to win their second in three years. The D will be great and Kenny Irons will lead a brutal ground attack. The schedule is relatively tame for an SEC Schedule.

#5 LSU - The Tigers get Alabama at home but then go on the road against Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas. This means they will not be here at the end of the season. Their top two running backs are coming off ACL's so the running attack may be weak unless one of the youngsters step up to the plate.

#6 Notre Dame - I really don't want to put them this high, but if I do I get the pleasure of watching them fall later in the year. The perennially overrated Irish are again too high in the polls. They are as high as #1 in some polls. Yes, Charlie Weis is the best in the college game and he got the best out of Brady Quinn last year. I have no doubt he will do the same this year but at the end of the day, the Irish are the same team they have been for the last 10 years. They are a big, slow plodding football team. Their D is so slow that they had to move Travis Thomas over from RB to linebacker. They are trying to get more speed on D and they need it. I read an article the other day about how the Notre Dame skill players were attending speed camps around the country this summer. All that means is that they will be able to run a 40 faster. They will still be slow in games. What did that old coach used to say....."You can't teach speed" Additionally, when is that NBC contract up? I am tired of being forced fed N.D. football every Saturday of football season for the last 100 years. OVERRATED,OVERRATED.

#7 Cal - Coach Tedford is the man. But you are playing at TN today. That could be a problem.
Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett will tote the mail for the Golden Bears. Today we will know if you belong here or not.

#8 Florida/West Virginia
#9 FSU - Monday vs Miami loser goes home until next year because National Titles are all that matter

Predictions - ND over GT
TN over Cal
FSU over Miami By 3 pts

I'm Out!'
44Black

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Schools