Monday, August 07, 2006

Interview

I had an interview today. I am not looking for a new job but I feel like you should always listen to what is out there. I was reminded once again how difficult it is for Black Men in the corporate environment(not that I am not reminded daily). During the interview I realized how fake I was being. Not telling lies, just acting like I care when really I don't give a damn. Corporate America and many other places in our society demasculates Black Men.

I am much taller than the average man and I am dark skinned. As a result I am perceived, for no other reason than my size and color, as more aggressive and less intelligent than the next person. I am sure the fact that I don't grin all the time and I don't waste words does not help. But why do I have to 'skin 'n grin' if no one else has to? Because I am Black?

In the past, I have watched others overcompensate for being a Black Man by being Mr. Nice Guy. When you become Mr. Nice Guy you might as well rip your balls off and sit them on your manager's desk. Unfortunately it does not change the perception that others have of you. They still think you will go off and kick someone's ass at any minute. Unless you go overboard with the nice guy routine. Then they think they can take full advantage of you because you are not smart enough nor brave enough put a stop to what's going on. In some cases, they are right because we think some damn job is the most important thing in the world.

It is physically exhausting to try to be something that we are not. We are fully capable of creating our own space and workplaces in this world. So brothers, be you as much as you need to. If you can't. You are in the wrong place.

Here is the first taste of the Poetry:




Who Am I?

How do I live this long and not know me? What is it that I want? What is it that I don’t want? What is my passion? What do I fear? What do I feel? What do I think? I have no answers, only questions. There is no true life with out these answers. Will I ever let myself live?

I'm out!
44Black

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Schools