Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Penn State: A Collosal Failure in Leadership

I just read the full Grand Jury report on the child sexual abuse debacle at Penn State University and I am just sickened by the lack of institutional leadership at Penn State University and the lack of moral character by everyone involved on that campus.
Here is an institution that is dedicated to the development of young people that is covering up the destruction of the lives of children.  Why?  So that they can protect the Penn State brand and protect the name and reputation of Joe Paterno. 
People, witnessed child rape and did nothing!  Where is our moral fiber?  Does it not exist anymore.  Has our country come to only recognize money and power to be the moral standard.  Is football that important?
I love football.  The sport saved my life, the men that coach it (and basketball) saved my life.  I was sexually abused by my step-father and my only outlet was sports.  I played Division I football in what used to be the Pac-10. So it sickens me to hear that a monster, a serial child rapist has invaded what was my sanctuary.  Not that these abuses didn't exist before but it is unbelievable that people would do only what is required by the law when witnessing something as hanious as child rape! 
I am disappointed in Joe Paterno, the most powerful man at Penn State University.  This is a man that has gone into, or sent representatives including Jerry Sandusky, living rooms of 17 and 18 year old boys across the nation for 46 years to convince parents to send their sons to Penn State.  I have been through this process and I know how it works.  They come in and convince the parents that they will be cared for at Penn State just like mom will care for them at home.  The fact that this man, this monster, Jerry Sandusky, was on coaching staff at Penn State for 30 of the 46 years tells how much of a lie they have all lived.  College coaching staffs are very close so I guarantee that it has been widely known for years that Jerry Sandusky has a 'taste' for young boys.  Hell, the janatorial staff even knew. 
So Mr. Paterno you are telling me you did not know prior to the Graduate Assistant coach telling you?  I think you knew at least by 1999 when you told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State.  I think you knew long before that even.  You showed tremendous leadership in telling a 30 year assistant that he would not be the heir apparent.  You protected Penn State Football from this monster.  My question is, "Where was that leadership when those children needed to be protected?"  Were they not important enough?  Clearly not as important as Penn State football.  Yes, you reported it to your superior but why did you not take further action when it became clear that nothing would be done?  What kind of example did you set for all of those around you including the 28 year old Graduate Assistant (who also did nothing beyond what was legally required)? 
This was a collosal failure in leadership.  Everyone who knew facts in this situation should be fired.  This is a culture of open secrecy that has to be rooted out by removing all that stood by and did nothing.  The President of the University, campus police, the janitors, the football coaching staff (probably coaches of other sports also) and their spouses all knew and stood by and did nothing.
Joe Paterno of all people should know that leadership is not doing what is required, it is doing what is necessary.


That's All I Got!
I'm Out!
44Black

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Counter
Online Schools